Monday, March 22, 2010

Easter Egg Wreath Tutorial

My children love plastic Easter eggs, so even though I would prefer a classy grapevine wreath with some nice speckled faux robin eggs and maybe some burlap ribbon...I wanted them to be excited about this, so I went for the cheap plastic Easter eggs. Read on to see how to make this inexpensive and easy wreath!
I bought this foam wreath at St. Vincent de Paul for 45 cents--woohoo!
Then I covered it with ribbon from my stash...only to realize I didn't have enough of this yellow ribbon. I thought about covering the rest of it with orange ribbon, then I decided just to skip the ribbon altogether--so I removed all of this and left my wreath bare.
Next I gathered my eggs from Dollar Tree (I later went back and grabbed a fourth bag) and my glue gun and started gluing.
I just smooshed them as close together as I could. Make sure the eggs don't pop open! I didn't put any on the backside of my wreath, but I did do the inner and outer edges. I used 3.5 packages of eggs, but that amount would vary based on the size of your foam wreath.
I took some wired yellow ribbon from my stash and tied in around the bottom of the wreath and then tied a bow. I hot glued the loops of the bow down...and that was it.
It looks so cute on my front door (I looped ribbon around the wreath and nailed the ribbon into the top edge of my front door--the flat part on the very top, not the front of the door) and my children are thrilled with it. They told me it makes them get excited for Easter egg hunts!

Not bad for less than $5! Have you made a similar wreath? I'd love to see it! I know one of my Facebook friends made a really similar one--hers has tulle on it instead of grograin ribbon though. I love seeing how we can all use similar supplies and yet make projects our own!

I'm linking up to DIY Day at ASPTL.

32 comments:

Jodee said...

That turned out soooo cute! I may have to borrow the hubs' glue gun and I love, love, love the Dollar Tree!

Hope you have a great week!

Darlene said...

Hi Sarah,

That egg wreath turned out GREAT! It looks wonderful on your front door. I think one of those would look great on my door too! Thanks for sharing.

Hope you have a great day.♥

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

It turned out so cute!

Trish said...

Adorable!!! Even I, the craft-challenged, should be able to do that. The ribbon part does scare me a little, though ;)

Unknown said...

That's REALLY cute ... and I LOVE your red front door!

Blu Grey said...

I love this project. It's something my older children and I could do. Im thinking of doing a sugar coat on my eggs before I glue. Your door looks so fun!

Karri said...

cute! my kids would love that!

Erin said...

Darling idea! I've seen it done with Christmas ornaments, but never Easter Eggs. So cute! I bet your kids do love it...I know mine would!

Mrs. Dunbar said...

This is such a cute idea. I just may have to snag it. Thanks for the inspiration.

Unknown said...

so cute great minds do think like :D

Cherie Nelson said...

This is so cute! Love it!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

You better believe I am featuring this!!! My viewers will love the elegant simplicity of it. Featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Love it! I just got out my plastic eggs wondering if I could make a wreath or something for my front door. Now I know that I can! Great idea!

Little Lovables said...

adorsble!!

Sarah AKA The Thriftress said...

I think you wreath came out great! I love the plastic Easter eggs!
Sarah

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

I love your wreath! so cute, colorful and cheery!
gail

Jessa said...

Wow that sounds so easy. Hot glue? I can do that. It is very cute on your door too.

Patricia said...

Looks awesome!!!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Sarah - I just saw your wreath on Someday Crafts! So cute!

XOXO
Jen

Coley said...

That's super cute. I may have to give that a try!

Unknown said...

Cute idea! I just found your blog and am a new follower! Come join my link party on Friday! Simplydesigning.blogspot.com

Karissa said...

What a great idea!! I am definitely going to have to try this!!

Emily said...

I made a wreath using the same plastic eggs and some burlap type ribbon. I think I like yours better. My blog is private. I am wondering how I can get a picture to you.

Jen said...

Adorable! I love it and it is something my girls could help out with. I came over from No Time for Flash Cards.

Jen
Creative and Curious Kids!
http://raisingcreativeandcuriouskids.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Love the wreath & the beautiful contrast it makes with your red door. I think I'll make one on a moss covered wreath or grape twig wreath for a more earthy background. Thanks for the idea!
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Love the wreath & the beautiful contrast it makes with your red door. I think I'll make one on a moss covered wreath or grape twig wreath for a more earthy background. Thanks for the idea!
Brenda

Alexis AKA MOM said...

I saw this in the ebook and LOVE it, I can't wait to make it w/ my boys! Thanks!

Sarah said...

Hi I love this Idea, I made one today but I made it look like an Easter basket filled with eggs instead of just eggs. Turned out great! If you are able to look at my pictures on FB I have posted a picture of it.

Jenn B said...

I got all my supplies today to make my wreath! I'm super excited! This is such a great tutorial! Thank you so much for sharing! I hope to get pics up tonight to share!

*Hugs*
Jenn

Anonymous said...

I have made these, before and they last, even hanging them outside. On mine, I used three sizes of eggs and poked Easter basket grass in the spaces...a totally different look!

Steph R said...

This is awesome! I love how it turned out! Ill have to look for eggs on clearance after the season is over!

Anonymous said...

Mine didn't turn out like yours!
\o/ *oh no!*

I don't think I smooshed them together enough...