Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Rainbow Cake

I made my little ones a rainbow cake for a celebratory back to school dinner. They were thrilled! I started off with a plain yellow cake...
Then I divided it up into equal portions and tinted each bowl with gel coloring--it is more concentrated than regular food coloring. I bought mine in the cake decorating section at Michael's. I think it usually is used to tint icing.
Then I started adding the colors to my round cake pans. Here is where I realized I should have doubled my cake recipe...there really wasn't quite enough of each color.
Then I baked, frosted, and sprinkled with random Mickey Mouse sprinkles that I had in my cupboard. My little ones were thrilled to have cake on a non-birthday day...and even more thrilled to realize it was rainbow colors!!
See, it would have been even better if my layers were thicker...I'll have to remember that for next school year! This thread was my inspiration--lots of rainbow cakes to be found!

8 comments:

That Girl said...

I made my daughter a rainbow birthday cake in June and she is still talking about it! we love the colors!!

Shannon said...

That is so cute!! I love that!

The Bertone's said...

That is a really cool idea... I might have to try that with my kids. They would think it is the best idea ever! Its very pretty too!

Allie said...

Yum! Your cake turned out so awesome.

Unknown said...

I really wanted to make this for Noah but it didn't happen but it looks so good!

jennyonthespot said...

So cool! My kiddos would LOVE this!

Jenni said...

I think it looks fantastic! I love this idea and MUST use it sometime, for no particular reason like you did! :)

I hope you are doing well and that you had a wonderful Christmas with your family! :)

A Happy New Year to you! :)

gnz\\\\\ said...

beautiful!