Monday, January 19, 2009

Clearance at Michaels!

Yesterday I went into Michaels and, of course, I bought WAY more than I went in there for--why does that always happen? I did find these three little signs on clearance for .49 each. There were others that weren't clearanced and they were a whopping $1 each...so still not too expensive.
The only problem is that the colors were all wrong! The "love" sign was a BRIGHT and gaudy pink. Pink is one of my favorite colors, but not this particular shade of pink! So, while my husband gave the children a bath, I quickly painted my little signs and hot glued ribbon onto the back of two of them.
The "love" sign I painted red with white polka dots and glued a red ribbon onto. Right now it is hanging on a lamp, but I'm not sure where its home will be--but it is a great little Valentine decoration and the price was right!
The "family" sign I'm not quite done with. I did paint it another shade of blue, but I don't like it yet...so no new pictures of that one! I decided the pink color of the princess sign would work for Princess's room, but it needed white polka dots too--and a ribbon to hang it on.
Right now I have it hanging from a small shelf in her room, but eventually I'd like to hang it from a rag garland that I still need to make. I think it will look cute tucked in amongst the rags.

13 comments:

Shannon said...

Why oh why do we not have a Michaels?!! :) Those are so cute!

Shell in your Pocket said...

What great finds! Wow!
-sandy toe

Unknown said...

Those are so cute love the "love" one the best. Michael is the best.

Kim said...

OK I know this is going to sound like a stupid question, but what kind of paint did you use to paint those??? Sorry I know it's a pretty silly question! I so need to think outside of the box! I saw those the other day at Michaels and when I saw the pink, I couldn't think of anything else...lol. They are GREAT thanks for sharing them!!!!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Kim, it's not a silly question! I just used craft paint I already had in my stock--I think it is by Apple Barrel. They sell it at Michaels in little bottles near all the unfinished wood products. It dries really quickly so I was able to do a few coats. The first coat went on kind of poorly because of the finish used on the pieces--but the subsequent coats covered all that up.

I really did do these while my husband was giving our two children a bath--this was a QUICK project!

~ Sarah

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Isn't it always so hard to walk into a store like Michael's and not buy stuff?? You got some killer deals and did some fun things with them! :)
Carrie

Jenni said...

I love your signs~ what you did with them is so cute! :) I also think the little Princess sign will look wonderful in a rag garland. :)

I love the stripes on your daughter's wall, too! They are gorgeous! :) My friend did stripes in her daughter's room some years back and it sounded really laborious, so I am always impressed by paint stripes. :)

Kim said...

Thanks Sarah, I can't wait to go tomorrow on my lunch and hopefully they will have a few left so I can get them! I'll post pictures on my blog to show you!! Thanks so much and keep in touch! :)

Kim

Free Art Printables said...

I love what you did! Thanks so much for coemmting! I have you on my blogroll!

Ms. Tee said...

I feel the same way in Michael's :) lol
You did such a cute job with your signs!

Our Complete Family said...

Darling! I can't believe you pulled that all off during bath time! WOWEE!!!

Anonymous said...

I love this idea! I might have to steal it if my Michaels has them :)

The Masked Mommy said...

Cute! I love seeing past bad colors with a little paint :-)